COVID-19 Microenterprise Business Assistance Grant Program
To be eligible businesses must meet the following criteria:
- Be a microenterprise business adversely impacted by the impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic. The term “microenterprise” is defined by CDBG guidelines as a commercial enterprise that has 5 or fewer employees including the owner or owners.
- Be a for-profit business entity (sole proprietorships, partnerships, corporations, LLCs, or other).
- Have a physical establishment located within a participating municipality (Athol, Phillipston, Templeton – including Baldwinville — and Winchendon) and must provide goods or services to multiple clients or customers.
- Be currently in operation and have been in operation prior to January 1st, 2019
- Be in good standing with the state and municipality at the time of application with respect to the following:
- Current on all federal, state and local taxes
- Active and valid applicable state and local licenses/registrations
- Not a party to litigation involving the state or municipality
- Business must be able to document a loss of income due to Covid-19 which is equal to or greater than the requested amount of assistance provided by this grant.
- Business owner(s) has/haves a family income which qualifies as low-to-moderate in the business owner(s) home city or town.
- Applicant has not already received funds or assistance from another local, state or federal source to cover the same items/expenses for the same time period requested in this application.
Per the guidelines of the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development, certain businesses are not eligible for to receive funding under this program. Ineligible businesses that cannot apply for this program include the following business types:
- Real estate rentals/sales businesses
- Businesses owned by persons under age 18
- Businesses that are chains
- Liquor stores
- Cannabis-related businesses
How to Apply
For ease of use it is best to view these documents on a computer so that you will be able to digitally fill them out as well. You can download the fillable application and then upload the application and all supporting documents needed to https://newvuecommunities.leapfile.net or mail everything to: NewVue Communities, Inc., 470 Main Street Fitchburg, MA 01420.
If you wish to submit a completed application, please include the following:
- This application form completed and signed.
- 2019 Federal Tax Return, – business and personal with all schedules. If you have not yet filed your 2019 Federal return(s), provide a copy of your Federal 2018 business and personal returns as well as documentation of your 2019 Federal extension filing.
- Copies of your 941 form filings for 2019 and 2020, if you have employees.
- Copies of state licenses/registrations.
- Family Income Form
Applications will also be available at the Athol, Phillipston, Templeton and Winchendon Town Halls. Please contact Bill Brassard at NewVue Communities at 978-288-0180 or email email@example.com for questions or to get information on how to pick up an application in a specific town.
Eligible uses of the funding, include the following:
- Payment of payroll
- Payment of rent, mortgage and/or utilities
- Acquisition of inventory, materials, supplies, or (in some instances) equipment
- Payment for professional services addressing, but not limited to: business reorganization, accounting, technical assistance, cash flow management, bookkeeping, and/or marketing related activities including website improvements
Grant Award and Disbursements
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and funds will be available until they have been fully expended. Applications will not be considered complete until the applicant has provided all necessary documentation to verify eligibility, quantify adverse impacts due to Covid-19, and calculate expected cost of eligible expenses allowable under this program. Time of submission will be based on when a fully completed application has been received, including all supporting documents, and certifications. Grant awards will be determined based on the demonstrated adverse impacts from Covid-19.
Funding will be released as reimbursements for paid expenses or as payments towards current expenses. Proof of payment of eligible expenses or documentation of current eligible expenses will be required before the release of funds. Such documentation may include copies of checks or cancelled checks, vendor invoices, copies of utility statements or receipts, and/or receipts or signed statements of payment for rent/lease/mortgage payments. Funds can be released in a single disbursement or multiple disbursements. Funds must be used within 4 months of signing a grant agreement and can be used to cover expenses dating back to 3/10/2020.
Grant Conditions and Agreement
Awardees will be required to sign a Grant Agreement which will include a repayment clause which will include a full repayment if is determined that a.) there is any “duplication of funds”, b.) any information provided within the application process was inaccurate or intentionally deceptive or fraudulent, and/or c.) the funds were not spent in accordance with the grant. The grant administrators may request additional information and documentation related to this grant as part of the program for a time period of up to 2-years from the date this agreement is executed. Program guidelines are subject to change based on State and Federal CDBG requirements, availability of funds, and community needs.